Brooks shoes are a popular choice for runners, but like any shoes, they can get dirty and need to be cleaned. It’s important to clean your shoes regularly to keep them looking and smelling fresh, and to prevent any damage that could be caused by dirt and grime buildup. We’ll go over the best way to clean your Brooks shoes to keep them in top condition.
What Not to Do?
Before we get into the proper way to clean your Brooks shoes, it’s important to know what not to do. Here are some things to avoid when cleaning your shoes:
- Don’t machine wash or dry your shoes. While it may seem like an easy way to get your shoes clean, machine washing or drying can damage the shoe material and even your washer or dryer. It’s best to clean your shoes by hand.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals. Avoid using bleach or other harsh chemicals that could damage the shoe material. Stick to mild detergent and water.
- Don’t dry your shoes in direct sunlight or with a heat source. This can cause the shoes to warp or shrink. Instead, let them air dry in a cool, dry place.
How to Clean Your Brooks Shoes?
Now that you know what not to do, let’s go over the proper way to clean your shoes. Here are the steps to follow:
Remove the shoelaces. This will make it easier to clean the uppers. Brush the bottom of your shoes. Use a soft-bristled brush to remove as much mud and dirt as possible.
Clean the uppers. Use a soft brush or damp cloth to clean the uppers of your shoes. Be gentle to avoid damaging the material. If there are any stubborn stains, you can use a mild detergent and water to clean them off.
Rinse with warm water. Use warm water to rinse off any soap or detergent residue.
Remove the insoles. Take out the insoles and clean them separately. You can use a mild detergent and water to clean them, or you can replace them with new insoles.
Stuff your shoes with newspaper. This will help them maintain their shape and decrease drying time.
Let your shoes air dry. Place your shoes in a cool, dry place and let them air dry. Avoid drying them in direct sunlight or with a heat source.
Remove the laces and insoles
When it comes to cleaning your Brooks shoes, it’s important to start by removing the laces and insoles. This will allow you to clean these parts separately and ensure that you can clean the entire shoe effectively. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the shoelaces. This will make it easier to clean the uppers.
- Remove the insoles. Take out the insoles and clean them separately. You can use a mild detergent and water to clean them, or you can replace them with new insoles.
By removing the laces and insoles, you’ll be able to clean your Brooks shoes more thoroughly and ensure that they stay in top condition for longer.
Can You Wash Brooks Shoes in a Washing Machine?
While it’s generally not recommended to machine wash or dry your Brooks shoes, some models may be machine washable. Check the care label on your shoes to see if they are machine washable. If they are, follow the instructions on the label carefully to avoid damaging the shoes.
Cleaning your Brooks shoes is an important part of maintaining their quality and extending their lifespan. By following these simple steps, you can keep your shoes looking and smelling fresh, and prevent any damage that could be caused by dirt and grime buildup. Remember to avoid machine washing or drying your shoes, and to use mild detergent and water when cleaning them. With proper care, your Brooks shoes can last for many miles to come.